From Cuba to Palestine:  A new song of solidarity as more than 60,000 fill the streets of Havana to demand: Free Palestine

Havana, October 15 (RHC) — Thousands of Havana residents, led by Miguel Díaz-Canel, First Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Cuba and President of the Republic, staged a march on Monday in solidarity with the peoples of Palestine and Lebanon who are suffering genocide by Zionist forces.

The route between the Fragua Martiana and the Anti-Imperialist Tribune, on the Malecón, was marked by signs, songs, slogans and a large human flag of Palestine, a symbol of the lives massacred by the State of Israel, among other initiatives with which Cubans reiterated their call for an immediate end to the escalation of violence unleashed in the Middle East.

Meyvis Estévez Echeverría, first secretary of the National Committee of the Union of Young Communists (UJC), said that the crime that has so far taken the lives of more than 40 thousand people and entire families buried under irrational hatred cannot be erased from memory.

She condemned the hypocrisy of U.S. imperialism that acts as an accomplice to barbarism of such proportions and considers itself morally superior to keep Cuba on its list of supposed state sponsors of terrorism.

“From this island we defend the right of the Palestinians and of all the peoples of the world to live with dignity and we reaffirm the political will and commitment of the Cuban State to peace, cooperation and respect for the sovereignty of nations,” added the youth leader.During the event, which was attended by the country’s top leadership, Palestinian students also spoke, expressing through their art and oratory their desire not to renounce their homeland and their infinite gratitude to Cuba.

Omayma Alkhawaga, a Palestinian doctor who graduated on the island, agreed with these positions and emphasized that the solidarity of the Caribbean nation is unparalleled in the world.

“Once again, Cubans have risen to support a just cause, as they have done in the past with so many others, and to raise the message that Palestine is not alone,” she concluded. (Source: ACN)

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Cuba remembers Fidel Castro’s defense plea HISTORY WILL ABSOLVE ME

Havana, October 16 (RHC)– Cuba today remembers the self-defense plea of ​​the young lawyer Fidel Castro in the trial for the assault on the Moncada and Carlos Manuel de Céspedes barracks, 71 years ago, known as “History Will Absolve Me.”

On July 26, 1953, the revolutionary leader led the attempt to take over those two military fortresses in eastern Cuba, which marked the beginning of the armed struggle against the tyranny of Fulgencio Batista (1952-1959).

By assuming his defense in the criminal proceedings for these events, Fidel Castro became the accuser of the dictatorship and denounced the crimes against the people of the island, and the cold-blooded murder of some 50 young people who had been captured in the action.

“There was no killing for a minute, an hour or a whole day, but for a whole week; the beatings, the torture, the throwing from rooftops and the shooting did not cease for an instant, as an instrument of extermination handled by perfect artisans of crime,” he said.

“The Moncada barracks became a workshop of torture and death, and unworthy men turned the military uniform into butchers’ aprons,” he added.

The speech, later printed for clandestine dissemination under the title HISTORY WILL ABSOLVE ME, was the presentation of the political agenda of the new stage of struggle against the Batista dictatorship.

The text pointed out the ills of Cuba at that time, summarized in six fundamental problems: land, industrialization, housing, unemployment, education and health, and they were part of the program of transformations of the revolution that triumphed on January 1, 1959.

Referring to the document, from the prison on the Isle of Pines, where he was confined, Fidel Castro wrote: “Its importance is decisive; it contains our program and ideology, without which it is not possible to think of anything great.”

In addition, the full denunciation of the crimes that have not yet been sufficiently disclosed is the first duty we have to those who died, he noted. (Source: Prensa Latina)

Posted in Cultural | Leave a comment

Venezuela demands historic reparations from London for exploited Caribbean countries

President Maduro during his programm, “Con Maduro+”, October 14, 2024  Photo: VTV

Caracas, October 15 (RHC)– The president of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro, on his program “Con Maduro+”, expressed his support for the countries of the Caribbean, in its demand that London recognize and pay for the historic reparations due to the peoples and communities who were displaced from Africa, through torture and kidnapping.

The Venezuelan head of state also announced that Venezuela will submit a claim to Spain.  “Venezuela will activate a legal claim for Spain to answer for the theft and looting of our lands.”

“The people seek justice and recognition for the horrors of the past and represent a joint effort by the Caribbean nations to obtain reparations for the historical crimes committed during slavery,” said President Maduro.

So far, a total of 15 Caribbean governments have agreed to ask the UK for billions of pounds as compensation for the slave trade.

A report by the University of the West Indies, published following a symposium by the American Society for International Law, concludes that the United Kingdom must pay $24 billion (£18.8 billion) in reparations for transatlantic slavery in 14 countries.  Of this amount, about $9.6 billion is for Jamaica, according to the National Commission on African-American Reparations.

In related news, the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, Keith Rowley, declared during the celebrations for emancipation from slavery last summer that when nations come together in Samoa “Caribbean leaders will speak very strongly to the Commonwealth as one voice.  And there is one country in particular with a new King and a Labour government with an outstanding term.”

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Cuban deputy prime minister highlights FAO support

The Cuban Vice Prime Minister held a meeting with the members of the island’s embassy in Rome, in the context of his participation in the 4th World Food Forum

Havana, Oct 15 (RHC) The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) today maintains firm support for Cuba’s development plans in these sectors, as stressed in Rome by the island’s Deputy Prime Minister Jorge Luis Tapia.

The senior Cuban official, who heads a delegation participating in the 4th World Food Forum convened by FAO, held a meeting at the headquarters of the Cuban Embassy in Rome with its members, with whom he discussed various issues, mainly about the Cuban presence at the event.

Tapia highlighted the meeting he held with the Director-General of FAO, Qu Dongyu, who reaffirmed the willingness to continue supporting the Caribbean country with initiatives aimed at increasing financing, the training of specialists, and the promotion of investments.

FAO’s support was requested to conduct an agricultural census in Cuba as it is necessary to evaluate issues such as the labor force, population aging and rural-urban migration.

According to Tapia, the UN organization appreciates Cuba’s efforts to consolidate its project with a positive agricultural development model, important scientific and technical advances, the application of technologies, and real possibilities of meeting the objectives. (Source: Prensa Latina)

Posted in Exchanges | Leave a comment

Cuba reaffirms solidarity with Palestine in the face of Israeli genocide

Havana, October 15 (RHC) — Cuba maintains its support for the cause of the people of Palestine in the face of the genocide of the Zionist government of Israel, which today expands its attacks to the entire region and affects nations such as Lebanon, Syria and Yemen.

This historic position of the Caribbean island in the face of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict was supported on Monday before in a solidarity mobilization called by the Union of Young Communists, in which President Miguel Díaz-Canel and other senior leaders of the country participated along with around 60,000 young people.

From the Anti-imperialist Tribune of Havana, destination of the march that began in the Fragua Martiana, the first secretary of the Union of Young Communists of Cuba, Meyvis Estévez, affirmed that each crime of the Zionist army also kills the shame of humanity.

The genocide, he said, is the full responsibility of Israel and the United States, which provides military, logistical and political support to barbarism, and causes panic in an entire population, also using hunger and thirst as weapons of mass destruction.

He pointed out that this march and the mobilizations carried out throughout the country in recent days support the position of this Caribbean nation alongside the Palestinian people, whom he described as an impressive example of self-denial and patriotism.

In the midst of material difficulties, in the midst of the bloodiest blockade suffered by our people, we Cubans have decided to fill these streets because no one can hide the true essence of the Yankee empire, because we will not close our eyes to colonization, suffering and massacre, he pointed out.

Palestinian students in Cuba also expressed the will of their compatriots to resist until they recover their nation, achieve their inalienable rights and a just and lasting peace.

They denounced the expansionist interests of the State of Israel against nations of the Middle East, with the complicity of the United States, while the world remains paralyzed, unable to stop the tragedy.

It is not a war, it is a widespread and progressive genocide, they condemned at the political-cultural event, in which they expressed their gratitude to Cuba for its permanent solidarity with the just cause of the Palestinian people.   (Source: Prensa Latina)

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Filmmaker Michael Moore asks Biden to lift embargo on Cuba

Michael Moore with his golden statuette for the documentary The Columbine Massacre. Photo: 20 MINUTOS

Also on his wish list for the last 100 days of the Democratic administration is the return of the territory of the Guantanamo naval base, a colonial possession of Washington for more than 120 years.

by  OnCuba Staff October 14, 2024 in Cuba-USA

The famous American filmmaker and activist Michael Moore asked Joe Biden on Saturday, in his last 100 days in office as president, to lift the embargo on Cuba and close the illegal torture base at Guantanamo.

The author of Bowling for Columbine documentary with which he won several renowned awards, including the Oscar in 2003, listed in his blog 13 wishes to happen during the last 100 days of President Biden in the White House.

In the fourth of these wishes is the closure of the U.S. military’s “Guantanamo Bay torture base”, which he called “a dark stain on America’s standing in the world”.

“It is time for GITMO to disappear,” demanded the director of Fahrenheit 9/11, a documentary in which he dissects the causes and consequences of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 in the United States and the subsequent invasion of Iraq.

Moore’s fifth petition is entitled Free Cuba, Free Our Souls, in which he made it clear that “it is time to normalize all relations with Cuba, end all sanctions against Cuba, end the embargo (blockade) and fully recognize the Cuban people’s right to self-determination,” according to Prensa Latina.

The filmmaker noted that “last November, an overwhelming 187 countries gathered at the United Nations General Assembly, for the 31st time! – to demand that the United States end our six-decade trade embargo against Cuba. The only country to vote with us was… wait for it… Israel! Oh, and one nation abstained: Ukraine.”

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

What Cubans Think About U.S. Elections & The Cost of the Blockade

Wed, Oct 2

Welcome to the seventh installment of Belly of the Beast’s newsletter: Cuba in Context.

This week we interview former Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez about Cuba policy and his own political awakening, we hear what everyday Cubans think about the upcoming U.S. election, and we take a look at the impact of the blockade on Cuba from 2023-24.


INTERVIEW OF THE WEEK: Carlos Gutierrez

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

International colloquium in Cuba dedicated to native cultures

Havana, Oct 13 (Prensa Latina) The 6th International Colloquium of Studies on Native Cultures of the Americas, to be held Oct. 15-18, organized at Casa de las Americas, will be dedicated to the diversity of knowledge of the indigenous populations of the Americas.

The meeting will be held in Havana under the theme “Counter-hegemonic alternatives from sciences and native knowledge”.

This Colloquium seeks to encourage reflection on the historical conditions that explain the exclusion of knowledge generated from native cultures.

It also aims to make visible the strategies of resistance that make it possible for this counter-hegemonic knowledge to last and be reproduced to this day.

mh/oda/dla

Posted in Cultural | Leave a comment

Friends of Cuba in Honduras demand an end to the U.S. blockade

Tegucigalpa, October 14 (RHC)– Friends of Cuba in Honduras have demanded an immediate end to the economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed by the United States, a policy that today hinders the development of the Caribbean country.

According to the final declaration of the 12th National Meeting of Solidarity with Cuba held in the Honduran department of Intibucá, Washington’s unilateral measure against the island has caused enormous damage and continues to be the main obstacle to progress towards development.

Referring to the measures to tighten the siege, the members of the Honduras-Cuba Friendship Association affirmed that they not only affect the Cuban people, but also the interests of other countries and several U.S. sectors that are betting on normalizing bilateral ties.

The document also demanded to remove Cuba from the spurious list of countries that supposedly sponsor terrorism, when the island is one of the victims of that scourge and not a promoter.

Likewise, the document demanded the return of the territory illegally occupied at the Guantanamo Naval Base, and described it as a flagrant violation of sovereignty, whose headquarters is a criminal torture center widely denounced worldwide.

The statement denounced the increased hostility and aggressive rhetoric of the Washington government against Havana, which seeks to dismantle the progress achieved at the bilateral level.

It also demanded the independence of Puerto Rico with the purpose of decolonizing all peoples from the imperial yoke.

The solidarity meeting condemned the interventionist policies and the financing of subversive plans against the Cuban Revolution promoted by the government of the United States, which is contrary to international law and to the will of the majority of the Cuban people to choose their own political system.

It expressed solidarity with the peoples of Latin America, the Caribbean and the world who are the object of an imperialist escalation and offensive by the fascist and Zionist forces against humanity, while calling for a halt to the genocide by the Israeli forces against the Palestinian people in the Gaza Strip.

The statement made reference to the application of coercive and unilateral measures by the United States and its allies against other nations such as Venezuela and Nicaragua, and demanded an end to these policies.

The XII National Meeting of Solidarity with Cuba was held for two days in Tegucigalpa and was attended by dozens of delegates from various regions of this Central American nation.

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

October 12th from Our America: We vindicate the legacy of the oppressed and celebrate the Day of Indigenous Resistance

Havana, October 13 (RHC)– From Cuba, Casa de las Americas, the Office of the Martiano Program and the World Council of the José Martí Project of International Solidarity vindicated the legacy of the oppressed in memory of the cultural clash of October 12, 1492.

Casa de las Americas, the Office of the Martiano Program and the World Council of the José Martí Project of International Solidarity declared this Saturday in Havana the vindication of the legacy of the oppressed in memory of the cultural clash of October 12, 1492 and the emancipatory process that followed.

Through a statement, Cuba’s cultural institutions condemn “all forms of colonialism, neocolonialism and exploitation — past and present — and denounce any attempt to impose a pink legend or glorify perpetrators and ideologues of such outrages.”

With the hashtag #NadaQueCelebrar — Nothing to Celebrate — which qualifies “one of the darkest chapters of history,” produced in the so-called “discovery” of the American continent, the text alludes to the “extermination, the encomienda, the mita, the imported diseases and the cultural shock that [Europeans] produced in the first century and a half of colonization.”.

The cultural institution Casa de las Americas, the Office of the Martiano Program and the World Council of the José Martí Project of International Solidarity vindicate the resistance embodied by “those who rose up five centuries ago against the oppressors and all those who, on this side of the world, since then, have decided to cast their lot with the poor of the earth.”

“The invasion of America by Europeans – in the words of José Martí – constituted the interference of a devastating civilization, two words that, being an antagonism, constitute a process,” contains the text, which was posted on the Facebook profile of Casa de las Americas in Havana.

“Nothing to celebrate.  The conquest and colonization of the Americas turned the initial encounter of two cultures into a sequence of plundering and underdeveloping plundering to which a greater infamy would be added: the slave trade.”

For his part, Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez stated on his X account that “the conquest and colonization of America would add a greater infamy: the slave trade.”

Posted in Cultural | Leave a comment