Stars from National Ballet of Cuba shine in Italy

Rome, Mar 24 (Prensa Latina) The Modern Theater of the Italian city of Grosetto is honored by the performance of the director of the National Ballet of Cuba (BNC), Viengsay Valdés, and the main dancer of that company, Anyelo Montero, local media reported on Sunday.

Grosetto Mayor Antonfrancesco Vivarelli pointed out in statements published on the website of La Nazione that this city in the central region of Tuscany will host “with great enthusiasm” the Grand Gala of the Stars, with figures from the BNC, in “a unique show” on Sunday.

“It will be an event of great cultural value,” said promoter Débora Ferretti, who pointed out that these presentations “will give prestige to the city,” because “never before in the history of dance in Grosseto had an spectacle of such high artistic depth had been created.”

This Grand Gala of the Ballet Stars is sponsored by the government of the region of Tuscany, as well as by the municipal authorities of the cities of Grosseto and Follonica, and by the municipality of Castiglione della Pescaia.

Viengsay Valdés and Anyelo Montero will perform selections from Carmen, by Alberto Alonso, as well as a pas de deux from Love Fear Loss, choreographed by Brazilian Ricardo Amarante, a ballet inspired by the life of French singer Edith Pieaff, in whose performance they will be accompanied on stage by renowned Cuban pianist Marcos Madrigal.

In addition to the Cuban dancers’ performance as main figures, the gala will include the participation of other top exponents of that world ballet, like Fumi Kaneko and Vadim Muntagirov, from the Royal Ballet of London, and Elisa Carrillo and Mikhail Kaniski, from the Staats Ballet Opera Berlin.

“It is the first time I will dance in Grosseto. It is a big responsibility and an opportunity to interact with other dancers from around the world,” noted BNC Director Viengsay Valdés, who will also give a workshop on the Cuban method to a select group of students from European ballet schools.

jg/mem/ort

Posted in Cultural | Leave a comment

Informatics 2024 Convention shows Cuba’s breakthrough in ICTs

Havana, Mar 23 (Prensa Latina) A variety of issues concerning ICTs marked the work of experts at the 19th International Convention and Fair Informatics 2024, which served as a stage to expose Cuba’s present and future in the sector.

The forum, held since Monday, March 18 at the Havana International Conference Center (HICC) and the Pabexpo fairgrounds, was attended by over 1,000 delegates and exhibitors from 22 countries, who spoke and exchanged on Artificial Intelligence, cyber security, fifth-generation network (5G) and digital transformation.

Exhibiting services related to Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs) has been the convention’s core; indeed, the exhibition fair had 49 stands, including 37 nationals, some 15 small and medium-sized companies and a dozen foreign companies from Canada, China, Germany, Iran, Italy, Mexico, Panama, Russia, Spain, Suriname and Venezuela.

After six years, the exhibition space returned to the on-site modality and was attended on its first day by President Miguel Diaz Canel, who toured the facility and saw first-hand the proposals of state institutions, universities, science and research, technology and innovation centers and private entities, which were also sponsors of the event.

In that regard, Cuba’s Minister of Communications Mayra Arevich told exclusively to Prensa Latina that Cuba is committed to the breakthrough of software and the transformation of society towards greater digitization with the participation of all the economy actors.

“The software domestic industry has to be enhanced by participating with each economic actor, so that it will allow greater participation in the advancement of ICTs, the talent of young computer scientists trained by the Revolution,” she noted.

The exhibition encounter’s Executive Secretary Ariadne Plascencia told Prensa Latina that the next exhibition will take place in 2026, with a different context related to ICTs, since Cuba’s Digital Agenda must be approved next April.

“That agenda will contain the projects to bolster software and technologies in Cuba towards which all domestic efforts of the sector must be directed.”

The 20th International Convention and Fair, Informatics 2026, will be held from March 23 to 27, 2026, at the Havana International Conference Center (HICC) and Pabexpo.

ef/omr/ro/cdg

Posted in Exchanges | Leave a comment

France backs Cuba by condemning US blockade

Bordeaux, France, Mar 23 (Prensa Latina) The leadership and the local committees of the France-Cuba association underscored on Saturday in their annual assembly their support to Cuba and its people in view of the US hostility and its blockade policy.

In the southern city of Bordeaux, a region famous for its wines, the organization with over six decades of solidarity work towards Cuba discussed its actions in 2023, Cuban reality and the economic, commercial and financial US blockade’s aftermaths on its society.

Delegates from regions, departments and cities such as Ardeche, Cote d’Or, Gironde, Hauts-de-Seine, Herault, Lille, Loiret, Marseille Provence, Midi Pyrenees, Paris, Val d’Oise and Vaucluse are participating in the meeting scheduled until tomorrow.

In the first day interventions, the Association’s Chair Fabrice Leclerc summarized the work of France-Cuba and the presence in events by 2023, among them the Tribunal against the US Blockade, held in Brussels, and shared the relevance of those that will take place by 2024, such as the 19th Continental Meeting of Solidarity with Cuba, in November in Paris, and the traditional Fête de l’Humanité.

Meanwhile, representatives of the committees referred to the need for joint work by associations, trade unions and political parties that support Cuba, the experiences of the initiative to send suitcases with medicines and the search for support from European lawmakers and local authorities for the cause of solidarity.

Likewise, they valued the communicational field, considering that many people in France and Europe think that the US blockade against Cuba ended with the administration of Barack Obama, who left the White House in 2017.

The 243 measures to tighten the blockade, adopted by his successor in the U.S. Presidency Donald Trump, the re-inclusion of Cuba in Washington’s unilateral States Sponsoring Terrorism list and the extraterritoriality of the blockade, were issues denounced in the interventions.

Leclerc read at the beginning of the annual assembly a message of recognition to France-Cuba transmitted by the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples (ICAP), which greeted the forum and wished it success. Solidarity makes human beings great and that feeling has greatly helped Cuba to emerge victorious in the rough road it has had to live for the simple fact of defending our independence and sovereignty, the ICAP’s stated to the organization of over 900 members.

Today’s debates did not overlook the international reality, with words of regret for the terrorist attack that left over 60 deaths in Moscow on Friday and condemnation of Israel’s indiscriminate aggression against the Palestinian Gaza Strip.

ef/omr/mem/wmr

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

Cuban Communist Party condemns terrorist attack on Moscow

Havana, Mar 23 (Prensa Latina) Cuba’s Communist Party (PCC) expressed on Saturday its steadfast condemnation of the terrorist attack on the Crocus City Hall concert hall in Moscow, which left at least 115 deaths.

The party posted on X heartfelt condolences to the Russian people, especially to the victims’ families and relatives.

On X, Cuban authorities have expressed their solidarity with Russia and strongly condemned the attack, described by President Miguel Diaz Canel as “an atrocious terrorist act.”

On Friday, criminals wearing camouflage clothing and armed with rifles opened fire inside the crowded concert hall. Attackers further set fire to the seats of the cultural facility, which fanned the fire and made the roof of the hall collapse.

According to Russia’s Investigative Committee, over 115 perished in the incident, while several people involved were captured, including four terrorists participating in the attack.

ef/omr/rgh/mks

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Cuba participates in development and health forum in Europe

Brussels, Mar 21 (Prensa Latina) Representatives of Cuba are participating in Brussels, in the “Inclusive Human Development and Equitable Access to Health Products” forum of the European Union, Latin America, and the Caribbean.

The director of Science and Technological Innovation of the Ministry of Public Health of Cuba, Ileana Morales, and the scientist Agustín Lage will participate in the conference, following the roadmap agreed on last year by the EU and the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC) at its 3rd Summit.

Morales will speak this Thursday at the round table aimed at addressing triangular cooperation for access to health and well-being.

Lage, former director of the Center for Molecular Immunology in Havana and current advisor to the Presidency of BioCubaFarma, will be part of the panel that will discuss on Friday the challenges, opportunities, and good practices in Europe, Latin America, and the Caribbean in innovation and affordability of health products.

The delegates are expected to share the experiences accumulated by Cuba during decades of medical collaboration and promotion of biotechnological development, despite the difficult circumstances imposed by the United States blockade.

At the Third Summit, held in Brussels last July, the EU and CELAC agreed to strengthen bi-regional cooperation in the field of health, based on the vision of its relevance in human development.

The forum will include in its discussions the promotion of equitable and sustainable societies, the facilitation of access to health products, cooperation, regulatory frameworks, technological innovation, and public and private investments to strengthen pharmaceutical capacities.

jrr/llp/jf/wmr

Posted in Exchanges, Healthcare | Leave a comment

Cuba thanks South Sudan’s support and seeks to strengthen relations

Juba, Mar 21 (Prensa Latina) Cuba thanked South Sudan for supporting, every year, the United Nations resolution against the US blockade and is ready to strengthen bilateral relations, an official source informed on Thursday.

Havana’s Ambassador to Juba with residence in Addis Ababa, Jorge Lefebre, told Prensa Latina that he conveyed that message from Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel to his South Sudanese counterpart Salva Kiir Mayardit during the credentials presentation ceremony held on Wednesday.

Lefebre also highlighted the ties of friendship that unite Cuba with the youngest nation in the world that is preparing to hold its first general elections.

As part of the activities in Juba, the diplomat met with a representation of graduates of the medicine, pharmacy, and veterinary faculties in Cuba, who expressed affection and especially gratitude for the opportunity to have studied there.

During the meeting, Lefebre addressed Cuban current issues and the scholarships granted by his Government each year to allow more young South Sudanese people to take higher studies.

jrr/iff/jf/nmr

Posted in Exchanges, The Blockade? | Leave a comment

U.S. blockade of Cuba: EFG International the penultimate victim

Washington, Mar 21 (Prensa Latina) A private Swiss bank is perhaps the penultimate victim of the extraterritoriality of the economic, commercial and financial blockade that the U.S. government is applying with full force against Cuba.

A sum of approximately 3.7 million dollars was agreed to be paid by EFG International in order to get rid of the accusations that the Swiss banking institution violated the coercive measures imposed by Washington on the Caribbean country and individuals from other nations which, according to its standards, are part of a unilateral black list.

The U.S. Treasury Department reported the “violation.” It says that between 2014 and 2018, Zurich-based EFG allegedly processed 868 securities transactions for clients in Cuba and for a Chinese national included on that list.

A report published in The Wall Street Journal noted that EFG, which has about 40 global subsidiaries, also processed five payments last year for another person blocked by sanctions imposed against Russia abroad.

The allegedly illicit transactions amounted to $30.4 million, Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) stressed.

As of June, EFG had some 146.5 billion Swiss francs (US$165.7 billion) in assets under management. The entity offers a range of financial services, including banking, investment, asset management and securities brokerage to institutional clients and individuals worldwide.

A spokesperson for the banking institution explained in an email that the company made the disclosures to OFAC in 2017 and 2023.

In the immediate term, EFG also restricted the accounts of clients blacklisted under U.S. sanctions. It will now require approval from its compliance department for any account activity of other clients that, although it did not emphasize on the agreement.

In calculating the fine, OFAC took into account EFG’s communication “of the alleged violations and its substantial cooperation, including through an internal investigation to identify exposure to customers facing U.S. sanctions,” the newspaper detailed.

The case highlights the risks faced by banks that have global customers and maintain general accounts in the United States, OFAC said.

But this is not the first time that a Swiss bank has appeared in a retaliation case for violating the blockade laws that for more than six decades have been the U.S. boot on Cuba’s neck.

There is a list of Swiss banks that have paid millions of dollars in fines for that reason.

Unfortunately, this is another irrefutable example of how the United States imposes its extraterritorial laws and tries to control with whom institutions in different parts of the world may or may not do business if they suffer the effect of its coercive measures.

jrr/arm/jha/dfm

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

ALBA-TCP denounces US hand behind destabilizing plans

Caracas, Mar 20 (Prensa Latina) The Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America-People’s Trade Agreement (ALBA-TCP) said on Wednesday that the United States contributes to the destabilization of democratic processes in the region, with its permanent and warlike interference.

“It is not enough for them to confess that they intend to steal the natural resources of our countries, to qualify and threaten the governments of the Bolivarian Alliance now,” the executive secretary of the group, Jorge Arreaza, stated in a message on his X profile.

The official condemned, at the same time, the recent statements made by the commander of the US Southern Command, Laura J. Richardson, who singled out Cuba, Venezuela and Nicaragua for allegedly supporting “destabilizing activities in the region.”

“As Executive Secretary of the @ALBATCP I reject the cynicism, arrogance and brazenness of this US “Military Chief” (…) This chief of the Southern Command, like all her predecessors, will fail in her expansionist intentions to dominate the sovereign peoples of Our Latin America and the Caribbean,” Arreaza added.

Richardson has recently met with the repulse of Latin American and Caribbean nations for her constant statements on domestic issues and the Essequibo territorial dispute between Venezuela and Guyana.

jg/jav/mem/ymr

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

Syria condemns escalation of US interference in Cuba

Damascus, Mar 20 (Prensa Latina) The Association of Syrian Graduates in Cuban Universities issued a statement in which they strongly condemned the hostile and interfering policy of the United States in the Caribbean island.

We reject this negative and harmful approach that was intensified during the last few days in a dirty and cheap effort to instigate acts of destabilization, the Association noted.

The text added that similar interference and slanderous acts by Washington were carried out by the Empire in Syria and other Arab nations during the so-called “Arab Spring,” bringing only chaos and deaths.

The group also expressed support for President Díaz Canel’s statement on Cuban authorities’ willingness to attend to the demands of the Cuban people, to listen, dialogue and explain the numerous steps being taken to improve the situation, always in an atmosphere of tranquility.

The difficult economic situation and the shortages and difficulties faced by the population on a daily basis are due to the impact of the blockade imposed for more than six decades, the Association pointed out.

It considered that the millions used to fund the reinforcement of an economic and communication war seek to exploit the natural irritation of the population against the government.

According to the Association’s board of directors and members, in the current wars, collaborators, mercenaries and lackeys are employed, just as they have been in other countries with the aim of causing cracks and divisions in society.

We take this opportunity to condemn the blockade and affirm that if the US Government had an honest concern for the welfare of Cubans, it would have lifted this blockade and removed Cuba from the arbitrary list of States that allegedly sponsor terrorism, the statement concluded.

jg/arm/mem/fm

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

Cuba and Italy seek to strengthen ties

Havana, Mar 20 (Prensa Latina) Cuba and Italy expressed willingness to strengthen bilateral relations and economic and commercial ties during the Inter-Ministerial Political Consultations.

During the meeting that concluded on Tuesday, the two sides reviewed issues of the multilateral agenda, the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MINREX) informed in a review of the meeting led by Deputy Foreign Minister Anayansi Rodríguez and Italian Deputy Foreign Minister Giorgio Silli.

Rodríguez thanked Italy for its traditional support in the United Nations, to the resolution against the economic, commercial, and financial blockade imposed by the United States against Cuba.

Italian Ambassador to Cuba, Roberto Vellano; Chief of the Cabinet, Jacopo Albergorni; and Counselor and Deputy Head of Mission of the Italian Embassy in Cuba, Guglielmo Pirrone, accompanied Silli during the meeting.

Cuba and Italy marked the 121st anniversary of their bilateral relations on February 4. In the last few years, they have been expanding in different fields of cooperation.

jrr/iff/mem/evm

Posted in Exchanges, The Blockade? | Leave a comment