Quimi-Vio, Cuba’s new vaccine for children

Havana, Jul 5 (Prensa Latina) The Cuban anti-pneumococcal vaccine Quimi-Vio was officially certified today by the Center of Control of Medicines, Equipment and Medical Devices of the Republic of Cuba, after a rigorous evaluation process.

After concluding all the required clinical trials, which show sufficient evidence of quality, safety and efficacy, the regulatory Center granted the registration to the injectable vaccine, developed and produced by the Finlay Vaccine Institute (IFV), a project it began in 2012.

“It is a very complex vaccine, which, when introduced in the countries that have already used it, has led to a significant improvement in children’s health indicators in terms of respiratory disease morbidity and infant mortality due to infections,” Dagmar García, director of Research at the IFV, recently said.

The first study with Quimi-Vio was carried out in the central province of Cienfuegos in 2023 “and on that occasion more than 90 percent of all children between one and five years of age were vaccinated. It was approximately 11,600 children, the specialist recalled.

Garcia further said that, in Cienfuegos, in 2018 and 2019, community clinical trial was carried out, in which 93 percent of all children between one and five years of age was injected.

“One year after immunizing them, a 63 percent reduction in hospitalization rates for respiratory disease was observed; and a 73 percent reduction in invasive pneumococcal disease, for the serotypes contained in the vaccine,” he added.

In June this year, it was announced that an intervention study against pneumococcal disease in infants under one year of age (two, four and 11 months old) will be carried out with Quimi-Vio also in Cienfuegos. According to the main researcher of the Pedro Kourí Institute of Tropical Medicine (IPK) of Cuba, María Eugenia Toledo, Quimi-Vio will protect infants under one year of age from 11 serotypes that produce pneumococcal disease.

mh/rgh/cdg

Posted in Healthcare | Leave a comment

Ethiopia and Cuba strengthen cooperation in water sector

Addis Ababa, Jul 6 (Prensa Latina) The delegation of the National Institute of Hydraulic Resources (INRH) of Cuba concluded today the working visit to Ethiopia, during which an inter-institutional memorandum of understanding was signed to strengthen cooperation in the sector.

The document signed between the Ethiopian Ministry of Water and Energy and the INRH will implement the agreement established in 2014 between the two governments, the Havana embassy in Addis Ababa revealed.

The Cuban experts led by the vice president of the Institute, Javier Toledo Tapanes, arrived last July 1 in this capital with the aim of exploring collaboration areas.

Their presence follows a visit by the Minister of State for Water and Energy Asfaw Dingamo to the Caribbean island last year, which resulted in water assistance projects.

During their stay they toured water projects in the city of Adama and had a meeting with the director of the Ethiopian Meteorological Institute and president for the African continent of the World Meteorological Organization, Fiten Teshome.

Both parties agreed to work on capacity building in the meteorological sector.

They also visited the Ethiopian Institute of Water Technology where they talked with its directors, the source said.

mh/abo/ro/nmr

Posted in Exchanges | Leave a comment

Continental Solidarity Network demands Cuba’s exclusion from terrorist list

Havana, Jul 5 (Radio Havana Cuba) The Latin American and Caribbean Continental Network of Solidarity with Cuba and Just Causes demanded in Buenos Aires the exclusion of the island from a list of alleged sponsors of terrorism, drawn up by the United States.

In a statement, the organization urged the deployment of a campaign in support of the largest of the Antilles and against the criminal blockade imposed by Washington on that nation, Venezuela and Nicaragua.

“We accept the challenge of Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador to build a great world movement against the economic, commercial and financial siege against Cuba. The Network is attentive to the call for this important creation,” the text states.

On the other hand, it urges to spread the transparency and security of Venezuela’s electoral system, to support President Nicolás Maduro and to defend the economic and social advances of the Bolivarian Revolution.

“We join the struggle for the independence of Puerto Rico and the peoples of the Caribbean,” the document adds.

The Network also repudiated the attempted coup d’état in Bolivia and denounced the provocations and messages of hate and xenophobia of the Argentine president, Javier Milei.

“Their actions put the region at risk. We dispose ourselves as militants to make the 2014 Declaration of the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States a reality, which establishes that we are a Zone of Peace based on respect for the principles and norms of International Law,” the statement notes.” (Source: Prensa Latina)

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

Cuban president: national tours allow learning

Havana, Jul 5 (Prensa Latina) Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel underscored the practical usefulness of the tours of municipalities that he does along with political and government teams, which generate learning about the realities of each place.

The visits are, in the first instance, an example of support for local authorities in the implementation of decisions indicated by higher authorities, the president explained in his podcast “From the Presidency,” published on Thursday.

Díaz-Canel confirmed that the country’s top leadership “is in the fight alongside its people” and in these contacts they can appreciate the problems beyond what the reports contain, which allows them to investigate the real situation by themselves, make decisions, contribute with solutions that in some cases have favored the exploitation of idle agricultural areas, the Cuban president noted.

The tours also address various social problems in the communities, in the health and education sectors, and stimulate the search for answers to labor demands, especially among young people.

The Cuban head of State also mentioned the territorial analysis of the budget deficit, price control, the fight against illegalities, as well as the strengthening of the socialist state company and its link with new economic players.

The president defended the method of constant dialogue with the people, a legacy from Fidel Castro that acquires high relevance for political work.

“The government’s agenda cannot be distanced from the people, and the visits are designed to analyze the problems and energize their solutions, which demands greater effort and work capacity from local authorities,” Díaz-Canel said.

“Direct dialogue with the people is teaching and learning, it allows for socializing experiences, systematizing criteria and gathering consensus,” said the president, who highlighted the commitment, responsibility and dedication of the country’s leadership at all levels.

jg/llp/jha/lld

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Argentine intellectuals demand end of US aggression against Cuba

Buenos Aires, Jul 5 (Prensa Latina) Nobel Peace Prize winner Adolfo Pérez Esquivel and several intellectuals and human rights defenders in Argentina on Friday supported the international demand to remove Cuba from a United States list of alleged state sponsors of terrorism.

Gathered at the Espacio para la Memoria Institute (IEM), Pérez Esquivel, writer Stella Calloni, the survivors of the last civil-military dictatorship (1976-1983) Ana María Careaga and Irma Medina, director and screenwriter Lita Stantic, the member of the American Association of Jurists Claudia Rocca, and photographer Adriana Lestido expressed their solidarity with Cuba and demanded an end to Washington’s aggression.

In a statement signed by them, the IEM demanded that the United States Government immediately and completely remove Cuba from that ominous and arbitrary list.

This unjust and unilateral decision violates the United Nations Charter and the resolutions of the General Assembly. What is even more serious, it adds to the damage of a criminal economic, commercial and financial blockade, whose extension over time subjects the Cuban people to suffering and inhuman conditions, and which fail to comply with international standards and human rights, the text states.

From the IEM we reiterate the urgent need to remove Cuba from that list and end the unjust blockade and all types of unilateral coercive measures against a worthy people, who do not submit to the pressures of the US Government, the message concludes.

jg/mem/gas

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

Cuba will encourage introduction of efficient technologies

Havana, Jul 3 (Prensa Latina) Cuba reportedly will further enforce regulations to prevent the import of technologies with low energy efficiency, marketed here by state-owned chain stores, micro, small and medium-sized businesses.

To that end, the National Office for the Control of the Rational Use of Energy is preparing a new resolution, continuing two others in force since 2021 (No. 235 and 236), to prohibit the entry of goods with high specific electricity consumption, Granma newspaper reported.

The measure will expand the modalities of regulated equipment and will be aimed at retailers such as Tiendas Caribe, Cimex and Palco, as well as micro, small and medium-sized companies, the Control Office senior specialist René Martín Páez.

According to the expert, the country needs to introduce modern technologies capable of contributing with great savings to the National Electric System and to the customers’ own economy.

If the population changes its resistance stoves for induction ones, the country would save 760,000 tons of fuel per year, and would avoid the emission into the atmosphere of an amount of carbon dioxide equivalent to 2.3 million tons, he said.

The energy efficiency of induction stoves, he added, fluctuates between 75 and 80 percent, and competes with that of pots and rice cookers, although they have much higher performance.

Likewise, he added, they are more comfortable and minimize the risk of accidents due to causes such as burns.

While LED luminaires have the potential to save 200,000 tons of fuel and avoid 600,000 tons of carbon dioxide per year, among all the consumption of the island, he argued.

They consume between 35 and 40 percent less than fluorescent lamps, and with similar quality standards, while their useful life can last at least five times longer, Páez said.

mh/jav/mem/mjm

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Cuban delegation visited hydraulic projects in Ethiopia

Addis Ababa, Jul 3 (Prensa Latina) The delegation of experts from the National Institute of Hydraulic Resources (INRH) of Cuba that is on a working visit to Ethiopia today toured hydraulic projects in the city of Adama.

The Cuban group led by INRH Vice President Javier Toledo Tapanes was accompanied by State Minister of Water and Energy Asfaw Dingamo and his advisor Abera Endeshaw, the Havana embassy in Addis Ababa revealed.

They held a meeting yesterday with the director of the Ethiopian Meteorological Institute and president for the African continent of the World Meteorological Organization, Fiten Teshome.

Both parties agreed to work on capacity building in the meteorological sector.

They also visited the Ethiopian Institute of Water Technology where they exchanged views with its directors, the source said.

Since July 1, the presence of the INRH delegation is in response to a visit made by Dingamo last year to the Caribbean island, which resulted in cooperation projects in the water sector.

To that end, the Cuban experts will explore areas of collaboration in this sector.

mh/abo/ro/nmr

Posted in Exchanges | Leave a comment

Russian airline transports over 100,000 tourists to Cuba in a year

Moscow, Jul 3 (Prensa Latina) Rossiya Airlines, a subsidiary of Aeroflot Group, have flown over 100,000 tourists to Varadero Beach, a renowned seaside resort in Cuba, since such flights opened on July 1, 2023, the company reported on Wednesday.

Its release stated that Rossiya transported 110,000 on the Moscow-Varadero flight during the year. Meanwhile, 20,000 other vacationers traveled to Havana from December 2023 to May 2024.

The highest number of passengers was recorded in January this year, when almost 5,000 people chose Havana, the capital of Cuba, for their New Year’s trips. Flights from Moscow to Cuba are the longest for Rossiya Airlines.

This summer’s flights to Varadero operate on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

Aeroflot Group’s regular flights between Russia and Cuba strengthen cooperation in the diplomatic, business, and tourism sectors.

The airline’s flights to Varadero ensure a stable flow of Russian tourists.

mh/iff/mem/gfa

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Canadian organizations demand the exclusion of Cuba from US list

Havana, Jul 3 (Prensa Latina) Cuba solidarity organizations in Canada requested the exclusion of the island from the list of countries sponsoring terrorism, drawn up by the United States, the Foreign Ministry announced today.

Through a message on X, the Cuban Foreign Ministry published a message reporting on the demand made from Canada, with the hashtag #NoToTerrorism and accompanied by a 42-second audiovisual material.

Coordinators of different organizations in solidarity with Cuba in Vancouver, Canada, pronounced themselves in favor of the exclusion of Cuba from the spurious list of alleged State Sponsors of Terrorism’, the post assures.

The video points out that three years ago, US President Donald Trump included Cuba on the list of countries sponsoring terrorism and thus intensified the economic blockade against the Caribbean nation.

It also highlights that the country ‘has defended peace and international cooperation during the last 65 years’ and urges to increase the rejection of Trump’s decision.

mh/abo/ro/raj

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment

China will not allow third parties to slander relations with Cuba

Beijing, Jul 3 (Prensa Latina) Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Mao Ming stated on Wednesday at a press conference in Beijing that China will not allow third parties to slander her country’s relations with Cuba.

In response to a publication in the Wall Street Journal, according to which there are listening stations in Chinese military bases in Cuba, she commented that “we have taken note of the report and also of the fact that Cuban Deputy Foreign Minister Carlos Fernández de Cossío has pointed out that the report is groundless. The alleged Chinese military bases have never existed, nor have they ever been seen by anyone.

Mao pointed out that not even the United States Embassy in Cuba believes in friendship, camaraderie and brotherhood between both peoples.

She stressed that cooperation between China and Cuba is solemn and, above all, it is open and direct, it is not directed against a third party and slander will never be accepted or permitted as the report maliciously discredits.

The spokeswoman urged Washington to stop interfering in Cuba’s internal affairs, and denounced the economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed on Cuba by the White House for more than half a century.

“The report mentions Guantanamo, which is clear evidence of more than a century of illegal occupation by the United States in Cuba. The United States has imposed the blockade and sanctions against Cuba for more than 60 years, which has brought big disasters to the Cuban people,” she noted.

The spokeswoman also denounced Cuba’s inclusion in Washington’s State Sponsors of Terrorism (SSOT) list.

“Throwing mud at others will not alleviate your own crimes. The United States must do the opposite. Stop interfering in the internal affairs of Cuba. Immediately remove Cuba from the list of so-called State Sponsors of Terrorism. Lift the blockade and sanctions against Cuba.”

jg/mem/elr

Posted in The Blockade? | Leave a comment